US: Barley reduces risk of heart disease says FDA
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will allow whole grain barley and barley-containing products to claim reduction in risk of coronary heart disease.
Consumers can expect to see whole barley and dry milled barley products such as flakes, grits, flour, meal, and barley meal bearing the health claim.
Coronary heart disease is the cause of almost 500,000 deaths annually. Scientific evidence shows that adding barley to one's diet can contribute to lowering serum cholesterol, a main risk factor.
To qualify for the health claim, the barley-containing foods must provide at least 0.75 grams of soluble fibre per serving of the food.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has begun to loosen its labelling restrictions, allowing manufacturers of certain products to make qualified health claims on the labels. This has led to some...
LycoRed has received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the use of Tomat-O-Red natural tomato lycopene as a food colouring....
The US Food and Drug Administration will begin notifying food companies in writing before demanding records in an emergency....
The US Food and Drug Administration has ruled that most cheeses can be fortified with enough vitamin D to be eligible to make the labelling claim "excellent source of vitamin D."...
Telling pregnant women to eat less fish that may contain mercury causes more harm than good, say Harvard University researchers....
Kalsec, a producer of herb and spice flavourings and colourings, has asked the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today to rescind its acceptance of the use of carbon monoxide in case-ready meats....
US food giant H.J. Heinz has welcomed the decision by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to grant approval for the use of a Qualified Health Claim for raw, cooked, dried or canned tomatoes....
The US Food and Drug Administration is to go ahead with a ban on a livestock antibiotic, despite a last-ditch attempt by poultry veterinarians to delay the embargo....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Ferrero entity acquires Delacre
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report