SWITZERLAND: Barry Callebaut considering options for US unit
Chocolate maker Barry Callebaut has confirmed that it is evaluating options for its US-based Brach's unit.
Brach's, which was acquired for US$16m in 2003, has targeted own brand chocolate production. However, the US confectionery environment has proven resistant to the growth of retailer brand sales.
A spokesperson for the company told just-food that it has commissioned a study into options for its US chocolate unit. "These options could well include expansion through co-manufacturing and outsourcing arrangements," the company said. The possibility of a sale was not ruled out.
Companies: Barry Callebaut
A German subsidiary of Switzerland-based chocolate producer Barry Callebaut has been hit with a lawsuit over the 2005 sale of three chocolate brands....
Andreas Jacobs, the chairman of Swiss chocolate group Barry Callebaut, has forecast a significant increase in chocolate prices as the cost of ingredients rises....
Swiss chocolate producer Barry Callebaut plans to increase its cocoa processing capacity in the Ivory Coast by more than 50% over the next two years....
Barry Callebaut is looking to step up its activities in India with the opening of an office in Mumbai in September, along with a "Chocolate Academy" training facility later in the year....
Almost half of US consumers say they would buy chocolate that promoted health benefits, according to a new survey....
Senoble, France's leading producer of retailers' own-brand dairy products, is spending EUR30m (US$40.8m) on increasing the capacity of its manufacturing plants....
Swiss chocolate producer Barry Callebaut has sealed plans to attain two sites in Europe from Nestlé....
Swiss chocolate producer Barry Callebaut has indicated it could sell its North American consumer business Brach....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund