UPDATE: UK: Barry Callebaut eyes 'production optimisation'
Barry Callebaut to close liquid chocolate facility
Barry Callebaut has said its move to consolidate UK chocolate production will boost efficiency.
The company announced this morning (4 December) it will close its liquid chocolate factory in Chester, with the loss of around 25 jobs. Production will be moved to the company's production site in Banbury.
Barry Callebaut said the decision to close the factory in Chester follows falling demand for liquid chocolate products, as industrial customers increasingly use solid chocolate options.
A spokesperson for the company said Barry Callebaut "aims at optimising our production and logistics flows" through the move.
Barry Callebaut said it will increase production capacities at Banbury and broaden its product offering. The spokesperson added that Banbury will have greater manufacturing capacity than the Chester site, which could manufacture up to 25,000 tonnes of liquid chocolate per annum.
"Our Banbury factory is our core factory in the UK when it comes to industrial chocolate. Therefore, Banbury has much more capacity than Chester," the spokesperson told just-food.
"We are a B2B company, delivering food manufacturers with chocolate ingredients. Products made in Banbury very much depend on the demand of our customers. We have a wide range of products and recipes we can offer them," the spokesperson added.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights