UPDATE: SWEDEN: Barry Callebaut eyes Scandinavian growth
Barry Callebaut plans Scandinavian expansion
Barry Callebaut hopes to use its acquisition of ASM Foods in Sweden to act as a springboard for growth in Scandinavia.
The company announced this morning (18 January) that it has purchased ASM Foods from Danish confectioner Carletti. The companies have also entered into an outsourcing partnership that will see Barry Callebaut provide Carletti's industrial chocolate and compound requirements.
A spokesperson for Barry Callebaut told just-food the acquisition represented a "unique" opportunity to enter the Scandinavian market.
"Before, we have been serving this market through agents. Now, with a local presence we are able to unfold the outsourcing potential of a mature and specialised market," the spokesperson said.
"This market has interesting potential for us in terms of outsourcing - since 80% is still captive, produced in-house with local players - and for high-margin speciality type of products."
The acquisition will also strengthen Barry Callebaut's offering of speciality products, such as compound, chocolate decorations, chocolate printing and speciality fillings.
"With these products we have a very comprehensive product offering for our customers - including also chocolate-related products. ... It's all about completing our current offering."
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016