UPDATE: SWEDEN: Barry Callebaut eyes Scandinavian growth
Barry Callebaut plans Scandinavian expansion
Barry Callebaut hopes to use its acquisition of ASM Foods in Sweden to act as a springboard for growth in Scandinavia.
The company announced this morning (18 January) that it has purchased ASM Foods from Danish confectioner Carletti. The companies have also entered into an outsourcing partnership that will see Barry Callebaut provide Carletti's industrial chocolate and compound requirements.
A spokesperson for Barry Callebaut told just-food the acquisition represented a "unique" opportunity to enter the Scandinavian market.
"Before, we have been serving this market through agents. Now, with a local presence we are able to unfold the outsourcing potential of a mature and specialised market," the spokesperson said.
"This market has interesting potential for us in terms of outsourcing - since 80% is still captive, produced in-house with local players - and for high-margin speciality type of products."
The acquisition will also strengthen Barry Callebaut's offering of speciality products, such as compound, chocolate decorations, chocolate printing and speciality fillings.
"With these products we have a very comprehensive product offering for our customers - including also chocolate-related products. ... It's all about completing our current offering."
- How Hormel Foods can benefit from Justin's
- Colian hungry for international growth - interview
- How discounters unsettling Australia's food sector
- The balancing act at Amy's Kitchen - interview
- Tackling infant formula fraud in China
- US food labels to include "added sugars" info
- General Mills invests in another US SME
- ConAgra focusing on core with Spicetec sale
- Kraft Heinz to expand US plant
- Amy's Kitchen strikes Picard deal in four markets