UPDATE: SWEDEN: Barry Callebaut eyes Scandinavian growth
Barry Callebaut plans Scandinavian expansion
Barry Callebaut hopes to use its acquisition of ASM Foods in Sweden to act as a springboard for growth in Scandinavia.
The company announced this morning (18 January) that it has purchased ASM Foods from Danish confectioner Carletti. The companies have also entered into an outsourcing partnership that will see Barry Callebaut provide Carletti's industrial chocolate and compound requirements.
A spokesperson for Barry Callebaut told just-food the acquisition represented a "unique" opportunity to enter the Scandinavian market.
"Before, we have been serving this market through agents. Now, with a local presence we are able to unfold the outsourcing potential of a mature and specialised market," the spokesperson said.
"This market has interesting potential for us in terms of outsourcing - since 80% is still captive, produced in-house with local players - and for high-margin speciality type of products."
The acquisition will also strengthen Barry Callebaut's offering of speciality products, such as compound, chocolate decorations, chocolate printing and speciality fillings.
"With these products we have a very comprehensive product offering for our customers - including also chocolate-related products. ... It's all about completing our current offering."
Formed only in 1996, Barry Callebaut has become one of the world’s leading cocoa and chocolate ingredients suppliers through strategic acquisitions and investments. It is securing its future by invest...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia