UK: Barry Callebaut to close Chester factory
Barry Callebaut to close Chester site
Swiss chocolate manufacturer Barry Callebaut has revealed it plans to close its liquid chocolate facility in Chester, with the loss of around 25 jobs.
The company said it would relocate the production of liquid milk chocolate products to its factory in Banbury.
Barry Callebaut said the move follows an increasing trend for its food industry customers to buy solid products. The group added the decision would broaden its product range.
The company expects to close the Chester site in March 2013. Consultation with Barry Callebaut workers in Chester has begun.
Barry Callebaut to concentrate its UK chocolate production in Banbury
Relocation of current manufacturing activities in Chester
Consolidation of liquid and solid industrial chocolate production in Great Britain Chester plant to be closed end of March 2013
Banbury/United Kingdom, December 4, 2012 - Barry Callebaut AG, the world's leading manufacturer of high-quality cocoa and chocolate products, today announced that it will concentrate its liquid as well as solid industrial chocolate production in Great Britain at its factory in Banbury. For this, the company will increase the production capacities at this site, also broadening the product range for the company's customers. The consolidation of activities in Banbury is following a trend towards more customer deliveries in solid form.
In this context, Barry Callebaut will relocate its current manufacturing activities in Chester to the Banbury factory. Since 1992, the company has been operating a line for the production of liquid milk chocolate in Chester with an annual capacity of 25,000 tonnes.
Barry Callebaut employs 25 people at its factory in Chester. A consultation process has been started in order to guarantee a socially responsible procedure.
The closing of the Chester plant is planned for the end of March 2013.
Original source: Barry Callebaut
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details