AUS: Bega Cheese "positioned well" for M&A
Bega lost out to higher bid from Saputo for WCB
Bega Cheese, which lost out in its attempt to buy fellow Australian dairy processor Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory, has insisted it is "positioned well" to take part in the future consolidation of the sector.
Bega was beaten to WCB by Canada's Saputo despite arguing the company should remain Australian-owned.
Reporting Bega's half-year results last week, executive chairman Barry Irvin said the company still believed consolidation in Australia's dairy sector would benefit the industry - and claimed it had the resources to potentiall take part.
"The board continues to hold the view that further consolidation of the Australian dairy industry will create greater value across the supply chain and Bega Cheese has the balance sheet strength, business profile and performance that positions it well to pursue that value creation," Irvin said.
Bega dropped out of the race for WCB after being trumped by higher offers from Saputo and a third Australian dairy processor Murray Goulburn.
The company was already a shareholder in WCB and sold its shares to Saputo. Bega received A$99m for its 18% stake in WCB.
Irvin's comments came as he announced higher half-year sales and profits.
Bega's profit after tax for the year to 29 December was up 18% at A$18.7m (US$16.9m). EBITDA grew 10% to A$40.8m. The company said an "emphasis on cost control and efficiency", including lower distribution costs, helped its profits. It also said some direct costs fell amid a fall in production volumes.
The group said its revenue increased 4% to A$511m amid a rise in the value of dairy commodities. Bega said sales volumes were lower but a change in its product mix helped turnover.
Canadean's "Bega Cheese Limited - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and s...
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global dairy food market during January 2014. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the late...
Cheese is made from milk obtained from cow, buffalo, goat, and sheep. Ten pounds of milk is used to prepare one pound of cheese. The taste and texture of cheese vary depending on the source of milk an...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Comment: Act now to cut antibiotics in meat
- Focus: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- First Milk to cut jobs, milk prices
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Russia "likely to extend food embargo"
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Arla Foods amba - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019