CHINA: Beijing issues register of approved dairy importers
China tightens dairy sector regulation
Chinese regulators have published lists of the "first batch" of international manufacturers registered to import infant formula and other dairy products into the country.
The China Certification and Accreditation Administration (AQSIQ) said that the two lists had been compiled in response to the country's new food safety law, which was introduced last year and aims to tighten regulation of the dairy sector.
Around 50 international infant formula manufacturers are now permitted to bring products into China and companies are required to register each national subsidiary separately. The list includes: Heinz, Arla, Nestle, Abbott Nutrition, FrieslandCampina, Hero, Mead Johnson, Murray Goulburn, Danone's Nutricia and Lotte.
The register of companies approved to import other dairy products into China is more extensive, with around 1,370 producers included. Of these, 740 dairy manufacturers are registered in Europe and 226 are based in the US.
The AQSIQ said that the "registration work is still in progress" and the agency will "gradually supplement" the number of approved companies.
However, the regulator added: "From now on, non-registered offshore production of dairy food may not be imported."
Last week, China's State Food and Drug Administration revealed that 39% of the country's 133 infant formula makers failed to renew their production licenses. The Administration had been tasked with licensing domestic infant formula makers as lawmakers attempt to increase safety and quality standards in the category.
Click here to view the full list of approved companies.
Danone SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Royal FrieslandCampina N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and serv...
Synopsis Canadean's "Koninklijke FrieslandCampina N.V.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profil...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report