USA: Bestfoods acquisition serves up foodservice opportunities for Unilever
With it's $20bn acquisition of Bestfoods, international giant Unilever, has among other things, delivered a massive wake-up call to under-performing players in the foodservice sector. According to Unilever one of the advantages of the deal will be "leveraging Unilever's large range of spreads, tea and tea based beverages and culinary products through Bestfoods excellent foodservice channel. " In the view of specialist consultancy, Promar International this is one aspect which carries enormous weight."With growth in the foodservice sector in key mature markets outstripping traditional retail by more than 3:1, Unilever has at a stroke added massive capability for accelerating top line growth. But much more importantly it can benefit from Bestfoods' skills in managing the foodservice channel effectively, something that few players can boast," according to Catherine Morton, Promar director."As foodservice continues to take increased share of stomach it is the profitability question which is key. With a very powerful stable of global brands and their knowledge of sophisticated consumer base the new Unilever could take a lead in forging close partnerships with the major foodservice operators to further enhance channel profitability," Morton adds.Promar's warning is that this will also shake up the competition in the foodservice channel, forcing others to improve focus or exit. Morton insists that, "The cautious approach in foodservice is dead. The growing foodservice operators are demanding more co-operation and the opportunities are clearly there to deliver exciting consumer offerings. Those engaging at arms length will only see poor earnings fall further, dragging down overall performance."Promar is currently undertaking a strategic study on Profitability in Foodservice, due for completion July 2000. For further details, please contact Sandy Livingstone, Promar International.Tel +44 1635 43363, E-mail: email@example.com
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review