EU: Bid to strengthen stocks of cod and hake
The European Commission has adopted a proposal to strengthen the existing EU regulation on certain types of fishing gear, in order to protect EU stocks of cod and hake. The Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) had warned that some stocks were at serious risk of collapse. "Given that in EU fisheries several species are caught together, we need to ensure that when the quotas of stocks subject to a recovery plan have been exhausted, no fish from these stocks are caught afterwards by accident but stay in the sea to replenish depleted stocks," said EU Fisheries Commissioner Franz Fischler.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Germany's Haribo plans first US candy plant