S AFRICA: Bidvest expands in CEE with Nowaco buy
South African conglomerate Bidvest intends to expand its business in Eastern Europe through the acquisition of Nowaco in the Czech Republic and Farutex in Poland.
The businesses, collectively known as the Nowaco Group, are being purchased from Bancroft Private Equity and funds affiliated with JPMorgan Partners and managed by CCMP Capital Advisors.
The total enterprise value is EUR250m (US$360.3m) and the management of each business have committed to acquiring between 5% and 10% of the companies after the completion of the deal.
Nowaco Group is the largest delivered wholesaler to foodservice and independent retail markets in central and Eastern Europe.
The company also owns two brands, Nowaco and Prima, which have category leadership in frozen food and ice cream. Newaco supplies these products to the international retail and hypermarket sectors in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Bidvest said today (3 August) that the acquisition will complement its existing international foodservice businesses in the UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Asia.
Central and Eastern Europe represents a "strategic market" with growth opportunities, Bidvest added.
"The acquisition represents a compelling investment proposition," the company said.
Nestle has grabbed the early M&A headlines in 2010 with a sale of its stake in eye-care firm Alcon and with the gobbling up of Kraft Foods' pizza business across the Atlantic. The Swiss food giant's d...
Life on Mars, Spandau Ballet, the Fiat 500 - it seems consumers of 2009 are bombarded almost daily with retro echoes from twenty and thirty years ago. But how do food retailers concretely tap into thi...
Swiss food giant Nestlé has opened a global R&D centre in Santiago de Chile designed to develop biscuits and cereal-based snacks....
Swiss food giant Nestlé is to acquire Kraft Foods' frozen pizza business in the US and Canada for US$3.7bn....
Pro-Fac Cooperative, the US fruit and veg co-op, has received around US$238m from the sale of Birds Eye Foods, which was completed just before Christmas....
Unilever, the Anglo-Dutch conglomerate, is considering the sale of its Italian frozen food business, according to reports....
Canadian frozen food company McCain Foods is to sell its Taiwanese manufacturing plant to speciality Taiwanese food processer Sinkung....
LDC, the French poultry group, has insisted that it has made no decision on whether it would offload part of ready-meal unit Marie, which the company bought two months ago....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review