AUSTRALIA: Big M bought by National Foods
The Victorian Dairy Industry Authority has today (26 September) announced that it is selling the Big M flavoured milk brand to National Foods for an undisclosed sum. Big M was introduced as one of the first flavoured milk products, introduced to the Australian market in 1978.A spokesman from the Dairy foods group National Foods said: "It's been a strong brand in Victoria for 20-odd years and we now have the capability of extending the brand nationally, as the only national processor in Australia. We plan to take it into every state."People living in South Australia drink on average 21 litres of milk a year, and National Foods believe that consumption is on the up: "There's tremendous scope for growth and it's a good, high margin business too."Max Ould, managing director of National Foods, was pleased with the acquisition: "Our Pura Classic flavoured milk brand is primarily an adult brand with a different formulation to Big M so the addition of Big M to our portfolio will be highly complementary. In the last financial year, almost 19m litres of Big M were sold, out of a total Victorian flavoured milk market of around 28m litres."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti