UK: Big Price Drop hits Tesco's market share - Kantar
Tesco's Big Price Drop promotional campaign has hit its share of the UK grocery market, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel.
The country's largest retailer saw its sales increase by 3.8% in the 12 weeks to 27 November. However, the UK grocery market grew by 4.2%, meaning that Tesco accounted for 30.5% of sales, down from 30.7% a year earlier.
Kantar said Tesco was the only one of the UK's big four grocers to see its share of the market fall but said the Big Price Drop campaign had helped the retailer increase the number of shoppers at its stores.
"With more products available for less, the amount of cash taken at the tills has understandably dropped. Despite this, Tesco has successfully attracted more shoppers to its stores through the promotion," Kantar director Ed Garner said.
Sainsbury's grew in line with the market, with sales up 4.2%, and its market share held at 16.4%.
Sales at Morrisons were up 4.8% and the UK's fourth-largest food retailer saw its share of the market increase from 12% to 12.1%.
Yesterday, the four retailers had to fend off claims by the BBC that they used misleading promotions.
An investigation in conjunction with Which? claimed that some deals offered no value, while others actually cost more than if products were bought separately.
Metro Group said today (30 May) the sale of its Makro arm in the UK to local wholesaler Booker will make the loss-making business stronger....
UK retailer Morrisons has remained coy over reports it may be considering launching an online grocery service in the South East of the country....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report