UK: Big Price Drop hits Tesco's market share - Kantar
Tesco's Big Price Drop promotional campaign has hit its share of the UK grocery market, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel.
The country's largest retailer saw its sales increase by 3.8% in the 12 weeks to 27 November. However, the UK grocery market grew by 4.2%, meaning that Tesco accounted for 30.5% of sales, down from 30.7% a year earlier.
Kantar said Tesco was the only one of the UK's big four grocers to see its share of the market fall but said the Big Price Drop campaign had helped the retailer increase the number of shoppers at its stores.
"With more products available for less, the amount of cash taken at the tills has understandably dropped. Despite this, Tesco has successfully attracted more shoppers to its stores through the promotion," Kantar director Ed Garner said.
Sainsbury's grew in line with the market, with sales up 4.2%, and its market share held at 16.4%.
Sales at Morrisons were up 4.8% and the UK's fourth-largest food retailer saw its share of the market increase from 12% to 12.1%.
Yesterday, the four retailers had to fend off claims by the BBC that they used misleading promotions.
An investigation in conjunction with Which? claimed that some deals offered no value, while others actually cost more than if products were bought separately.
Metro Group said today (30 May) the sale of its Makro arm in the UK to local wholesaler Booker will make the loss-making business stronger....
UK retailer Morrisons has remained coy over reports it may be considering launching an online grocery service in the South East of the country....
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Free-from firm BFree Foods - bitesize interview
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- Murray Goulburn accused of "misleading" the market
- ConAgra sells two bakeries to Alpha Baking
- ABF takes Patak's into frozen ready meals category