US: Bimbo closes former Sara Lee bakery
Grupo Bimbo acquired the NA bakery arm of Sara Lee in November
Grupo Bimbo, the Mexican bakery giant, is to close a recently-acquired bakery in the US.
The site in Rock Island in the state of Illnois was acquired by Grupo Bimbo when it bought Sara Lee's North American fresh bakery business for US$709m in November. It will be phased out over this year, hitting 100 workers. The first ten redundancies will be made later this month when a bun line at the facility closes.
"This was a difficult decision because of the great team of associates at the Rock Island bakery," a spokesperson for Bimbo Bakeries USA said yesterday (9 January). "It was clear that the facility could not compete in the marketplace. Production will be moved to other facilities within the manufacturing network."
The spokesperson added: "We value our associates and will treat take steps to help ease them through this transition."
Barry Callebaut, the Swiss B2B chocolate manufacturer, today (5 July) reported a 2% increase in sales for the first nine months of its fiscal year, with contracts in the Americas helping revenue....
A swathe of results releases this week highlighted the ongoing difficulties of operating in the current economic climate....
JM Smucker said today (7 June) it had been able to grow earnings and sales in the fourth quarter of its financial year as higher prices offset weaker volumes....
Improving NPD will be central to Sara Lee's plans to drive growth at its North American meat division, to be renamed Hillshire Brands, the company has revealed....
The week ended with, in many ways, its most notable story with the results of an investigation into Nestle's cocoa supply confirming the use of child labour on some farms in Africa. The last five days...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm