INDIA: BJP plans to ban foreign supermarkets entering retail sector
BJP leader Narenda Modi, seen as frontrunner to be India's next Prime Minister
Indian political party Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is expected to lead the country's next government, has said it plans to ban foreign supermarkets from entering its retail sector.
In its election manifesto, the party said: "Barring the multi-brand retail sector, FDI will be allowed in sectors wherever needed for job and asset creation, infrastructure and acquisition of niche technology and specialised expertise. BJP is committed to protecting the interest of small and medium retailers, SMEs and those employed by them."
The move is likely to deal a blow to international supermarket players.
Tesco became the first international retailer to take advantage of the easing of Indian restrictions on foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail. Foreign companies had been prohibited from investing in multi-brand retail outlets in India and overseas retailers sought wholesale and franchise deals. However, last year, India said it would allow international investors to own up to 51% of multi-brand outlets.
At the end of last year, Tesco struck a deal to own 50% of Trent Hypermarket Limited, a retail subsidiary of Indian conglomerate Tata Group, in a US$132m transaction.
Speaking to just-food today, a spokesperson for Tesco said: "We note the comments from the BJP. We have no further comment to make at this stage."
Carrefour said it "won't comment on this issue".
Wal-Mart runs the Best Price Modern Wholesale cash-and-carry chain after its venture with local conglomerate Bharti Enterprises came to an end last autumn by mutual agreement.
The end of the venture had been seen as the prelude to fresh expansion by Wal-Mart in India.
However, the US retail giant has put its expansion in the country on hold amid bribery allegations related to applications for new store openings.
Moreover, the company has yet to expand into consumer-facing retail after rules on foreign direct investment were relaxed in 2013. Wal-Mart is concerned the changes do not go far enough to enable the world's largest retailer to operate effectively in the market. It did not respond to just-food's email requests for comment on the BJP mainfesto.
Food and Grocery Retailing in India: Databook to 2017
Canadean’s, Food and Grocery Retailing in India: Databook to 2017 contains detailed historic and forecast retail sales values, segmented at a category level. The report takes into account macroeconomi...read more
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in India....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Poland....
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report