UK: Booker's Makro acquisition raises competition concerns
Booker announced the acquisition of Makro in May
The UK's Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has referred Booker's acquisition of Makro to the country's competition authority.
Booker revealed in an announcement today (7 November), the OFT's decision to refer its completed acquisition of Makro to the Competition Commission. The UK retailer said it "looks forward" to working with the Competition Commission through the inquiry.
"Makro UK will continue to be held separate from the rest of Booker until the inquiry is complete," it said.
The UK food wholesaler announced the acquisition of the local cash-and-carry assets of German retail giant Metro Group in May in a deal worth GBP139.7m.
German retailer Metro Group and Dutch peer Ahold are among the latest firms to recall products after admitting certain lines contained horsemeat....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details