UPDATE: UK: Boulder to launch gluten-free brand Udi's in UK
Boulder to launch Udi's in UK
US health and wellness firm Boulder Brands plans to leverage its acquisition of UK gluten-free group Davies Bakery to bring its Udi's gluten-free brand to the UK market.
The company announced yesterday (1 May) that it has acquired Davies Bakery for GBP2.5m (US$3.9m). Davies manufactures a number of gluten-free baked goods, including its Yes You Can brand as well as private label contracts. In 2012, Davies achieved sales of GBP1.3m, Boulder revealed.
Speaking during an analyst conference call, Boulder CEO Steve Hughes said that the company plans to build on Davies' presence in the UK market by launching between five and seven Udi's grocery items and five-to-seven Udi's bakery items in the market over the next year.
"While this acquisition is relatively is not material on size, we're very excited about the potential taking the Udi's brand to the UK," Hughes said. "We [will] utilize Davies state of the art gluten-free manufacturing facility and expertise in UK market."
For more details on the potential offered by the gluten-free market in the UK and internationally, click here to view just-food's latest four-part management briefing taking in in-depth look at the category
Companies: Boulder Brands
Boulder Brands, the US company behind Udi's gluten free and Smart Balance spreads, has created a new role of COO to oversee operations at the business....
Dr Schär, the gluten-free specialist, is introducing an "authentic" line of Italian gluten-free pasta products across a number of European markets....
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk