ECUADOR/EU: Brussels and Ecuador bury hatchet in Turkey in new fruit row
The European Union has teamed up with its erstwhile Caribbean banana war enemy Ecuador, in a fight at the World Trade Organisation over Turkish red tape impeding the export of fresh fruit, especially bananas. Formal talks are to be held at the WTO over the insistence of Turkey that importers secure a document, known as "Kontrol Belgesi." Ecuador claims that the procedure is a trade barrier which breaks world trade laws under GATT 1994, the WTO's Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures, its Agreement on Import Licensing Procedures, its Agreement on Agriculture and the GATS, covering services. If the talks fail to resolve the issue, Brussels and Quito may launch disputes proceedings in Geneva.
By Keith Nuthall, just-food.com correspondent
People are getting richer. That means they are going to be eating more meat, milk and eggs. And according to speaker after speaker at a recent international conference on the grains sector, that's gre...
Recent weeks have seen further arguments between the US and Canada over beef, and between the US and Japan over beef. Disputes in which one side insists it's operating on food health grounds while the...
The European Union has agreed to open negotiations with its Euro-Mediterranean partners to further open up trade in fresh and processed agricultural and fisheries products....
Markos Kyprianou, EU Commissioner for Health and Consumer Protection, will visit Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia, during an official tour of South East Asia from 6-16 November to discuss avi...
Russia has been given permission to resume poultry exports to EU countries, the head of the Federal Veterinary and Phytosanitary Control Service (Rosselkhoznadzor) Sergei Dankvert told the Interfax ne...
US agriculture secretary Mike Johanns has announced progress with China on key market access issues after meetings in Beijing with Chinese officials....
The World Bank is lending Columbia US$30m to improve the competitiveness of its food production, to help increase its exports, especially of poultry, beef and milk products....
Brazil's Agriculture Ministry suspended temporarily the country's processed beef exports to the USA as of 5 May, according to a report from its Department of Livestock Farming Products Inspection quo...
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review