EU/SPAIN: Brussels clears Panrico bakery sale to Oaktree
The sale of Spanish bakery Panrico to US investment fund Oaktree has been cleared by the European Commission.
Brussels decided to look into Oaktree's bid to hold a majority stake in Panrico due to the fund's ownership of packaging maker Nordenia. It looked into the "vertical relationship" between Panrico and Nordenia.
However, the Commission said Nordenia had a low share of the upstream market for flexible packaging for bread and bakery products and ruled the deal would not affect competition.
"The merged entity would lack the ability to shout out competitors from supplies," the Commission said today (19 December).
In a deal with banks to lower its debts, Panrico agreed for Oaktree to take its stake in the company from 25% to around 80%.
Arla Foods revealed 250 jobs could be cut as it drives efficiency and tries to keep pace with its international competitors - and admitted more could be made. The race to buy frozen food giant Iglo Gr...
The European Commission, after six years of work, has published a list of 222 health claims that can be made on food labels and advertising when products are sold in the EU....
UK sugar trader ED&F Man has agreed to offload its interest in a refinery in Italy to secure EU clearance for the sale of a stake in its business to German giant Südzucker....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020