EU/SPAIN: Brussels clears Panrico bakery sale to Oaktree
The sale of Spanish bakery Panrico to US investment fund Oaktree has been cleared by the European Commission.
Brussels decided to look into Oaktree's bid to hold a majority stake in Panrico due to the fund's ownership of packaging maker Nordenia. It looked into the "vertical relationship" between Panrico and Nordenia.
However, the Commission said Nordenia had a low share of the upstream market for flexible packaging for bread and bakery products and ruled the deal would not affect competition.
"The merged entity would lack the ability to shout out competitors from supplies," the Commission said today (19 December).
In a deal with banks to lower its debts, Panrico agreed for Oaktree to take its stake in the company from 25% to around 80%.
Arla Foods revealed 250 jobs could be cut as it drives efficiency and tries to keep pace with its international competitors - and admitted more could be made. The race to buy frozen food giant Iglo Gr...
The European Commission, after six years of work, has published a list of 222 health claims that can be made on food labels and advertising when products are sold in the EU....
UK sugar trader ED&F Man has agreed to offload its interest in a refinery in Italy to secure EU clearance for the sale of a stake in its business to German giant Südzucker....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities