EU/SPAIN: Brussels clears Panrico bakery sale to Oaktree
The sale of Spanish bakery Panrico to US investment fund Oaktree has been cleared by the European Commission.
Brussels decided to look into Oaktree's bid to hold a majority stake in Panrico due to the fund's ownership of packaging maker Nordenia. It looked into the "vertical relationship" between Panrico and Nordenia.
However, the Commission said Nordenia had a low share of the upstream market for flexible packaging for bread and bakery products and ruled the deal would not affect competition.
"The merged entity would lack the ability to shout out competitors from supplies," the Commission said today (19 December).
In a deal with banks to lower its debts, Panrico agreed for Oaktree to take its stake in the company from 25% to around 80%.
Arla Foods revealed 250 jobs could be cut as it drives efficiency and tries to keep pace with its international competitors - and admitted more could be made. The race to buy frozen food giant Iglo Gr...
The European Commission, after six years of work, has published a list of 222 health claims that can be made on food labels and advertising when products are sold in the EU....
UK sugar trader ED&F Man has agreed to offload its interest in a refinery in Italy to secure EU clearance for the sale of a stake in its business to German giant Südzucker....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India