EU: Brussels publishes legal health claims
The European Commission, after six years of work, has published a list of 222 health claims that can be made on food labels and advertising when products are sold in the EU.
It is the first time manufacturers and retailers have been given solid legal guidance within the EU's health claim screening process.
The 222 claims, assessed by the European Food Safety Authority and backed by EU ministers and MEPs, are now online.
The Commission has also rejected around 1,600 claims, and will soon post these on the database, along with the reasons for the rejection. They will be outlawed from early December, with EU member states being responsible for policing marketing and labels, not the Commission.
EU health and consumer policy Commissioner John Dalli said the decision was "the culmination of years of work and marks a major milestone in regulating health claims on food".
He added the Commission would continue assessing further health claims, notably 2,200 claims regarding plant-based food products, or botanicals.
Sectors: Advertising & labelling, Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Fresh produce, Frozen, Health & wellness, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Multichannel, Natural & organic, NPD & innovation, Private label, Seafood, Snacks, World foods
UK food and drink manufacturers have said there are "lots of questions" over how EU laws on food labelling will be implemented....
EU regulation on country-of-origin labelling across all meats could mean an "added burden" to the food industry and consumers, the British Meat Processors Association has said....
EU rules on nutrition labelling and on the health claims food companies can put on their products benefit the industry, the European Commission has claimed....
The EU's regulation of the food industry could lead manufacturers to shift their R&D investment outside the bloc, UK food manufacturers have warned....
This week, European industry association FoodDrinkEurope is holding a two-day conference in Brussels discussing how the sector can ride out the tough economic conditions on the Continent and the longe...
Arla Foods will sell the milk drinks business of Milk Link in order to satisfy competition authorities before merging with the UK dairy farmer cooperative....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image