EU: Brussels targets EU states flouting egg ban
The European Commission is taking legal action against 14 EU member states that it thinks are failing to comply with new laws banning the keeping of hens in battery cages.
According to Brussels, the countries have failed to comply with EU legislation that prohibits farmers from keeping egg-laying hens in confined, tiny cages smaller than 750 square centimetres.
Brussels has claimed countries including France, Spain and the Netherlands are breaching the law, which went into on 1 January. The Commission has released a report that says 51m hens could be confined in illegal cages across the EU.
"We are launching infringement procedures against all the member states that are non-compliant and these will start in a few days," EU health and consumer policy commissioner John Dalli said.
The warning came as he released an EU strategy on animal welfare, which could further toughen standards.
Arla Foods revealed 250 jobs could be cut as it drives efficiency and tries to keep pace with its international competitors - and admitted more could be made. The race to buy frozen food giant Iglo Gr...
The European Commission, after six years of work, has published a list of 222 health claims that can be made on food labels and advertising when products are sold in the EU....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit - Europe's food makers call result "a blow"
- Brexit - Irish food export agency sounds warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights