GLOBAL: Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, 3G Capital to buy Heinz
Heinz deal set to be largest takeover in food industry
Heinz has agreed to be bought by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital for US$28bn - the largest-ever takeover in the food sector.
In a shock announcement today (14 February), the US food giant said its board had approved a deal worth $72.50 a share. Heinz said the offer was a 20% premium to the company's share price when the market closed yesterday.
"As a private enterprise, Heinz will have an opportunity to drive further growth and advance our commitment to providing consumers across the globe with great tasting, nutritious and wholesome products," Heinz chairman, president and CEO Bill Johnson said.
"The Heinz brand is one of the most respected brands in the global food industry and this historic transaction provides tremendous value to Heinz shareholders."
Explaining the reasons for the offer, US billionaire and famed investor Buffett praised the company's brands. "Heinz has strong, sustainable growth potential based on high quality standards, continuous innovation, excellent management and great tasting products. Their global success is a testament to the power of investing behind strong brand equities and the strength of their management team and processes."
Buffett's Berkshire will team up with 3G Capital. Alex Behring, 3G Capital's managing partner, also pointed to the ketchup manufacturer's brands. "We have great respect for the Heinz brands and the strong business that management and its employees operate around the world. We approached Heinz to explore how we might work together to expand the value of this storied brand."
Heinz shareholders will have to approve the deal but it is expected to close in the third quarter of 2013.
For coverage of the Heinz and 3G Capital press conference in Pittsburgh, click here.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis