US: Bumble Bee signs deal with Sapmer for frozen tuna
Bumble Bee has partnered Sapmer for a frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna roll out to US and Canadian retailers
US seafood company Bumble Bee Foods has teamed up partnership with French tuna catcher and processor Sapmer for distribution of frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna across North America.
The new product will be distributed across the foodservice and retail channels, including supermarkets.
"More discerning retail and food service buyers in North America are looking for the next level of quality frozen seafood products and this partnership fills the demand," Bumble Bee president and CEO Chris Lischewski said. "We've had our eye on this growing niche in the frozen industry for some time and Sapmer's approach represents the quality we've been looking for in a partner."
Sapmer has been supplying "sashimi-quality" tuna to the Japanese market. Its CEO, Yannick Lauri, added: "The relationship between Sapmer and Bumble Bee is based on synergies in our approach to producing quality products in a sustainable fashion. We couldn't have chosen a better partner to introduce our sashimi-grade yellowfin and skipjack to the North American market."
In June last year, Bumble Bee launched a range of "premium" frozen seafood product under the SuperFresh label. It also recently acquired tuna company Anova Food.
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report