US: Bumble Bee signs deal with Sapmer for frozen tuna
Bumble Bee has partnered Sapmer for a frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna roll out to US and Canadian retailers
US seafood company Bumble Bee Foods has teamed up partnership with French tuna catcher and processor Sapmer for distribution of frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna across North America.
The new product will be distributed across the foodservice and retail channels, including supermarkets.
"More discerning retail and food service buyers in North America are looking for the next level of quality frozen seafood products and this partnership fills the demand," Bumble Bee president and CEO Chris Lischewski said. "We've had our eye on this growing niche in the frozen industry for some time and Sapmer's approach represents the quality we've been looking for in a partner."
Sapmer has been supplying "sashimi-quality" tuna to the Japanese market. Its CEO, Yannick Lauri, added: "The relationship between Sapmer and Bumble Bee is based on synergies in our approach to producing quality products in a sustainable fashion. We couldn't have chosen a better partner to introduce our sashimi-grade yellowfin and skipjack to the North American market."
In June last year, Bumble Bee launched a range of "premium" frozen seafood product under the SuperFresh label. It also recently acquired tuna company Anova Food.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016