US: Bumble Bee signs deal with Sapmer for frozen tuna
Bumble Bee has partnered Sapmer for a frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna roll out to US and Canadian retailers
US seafood company Bumble Bee Foods has teamed up partnership with French tuna catcher and processor Sapmer for distribution of frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna across North America.
The new product will be distributed across the foodservice and retail channels, including supermarkets.
"More discerning retail and food service buyers in North America are looking for the next level of quality frozen seafood products and this partnership fills the demand," Bumble Bee president and CEO Chris Lischewski said. "We've had our eye on this growing niche in the frozen industry for some time and Sapmer's approach represents the quality we've been looking for in a partner."
Sapmer has been supplying "sashimi-quality" tuna to the Japanese market. Its CEO, Yannick Lauri, added: "The relationship between Sapmer and Bumble Bee is based on synergies in our approach to producing quality products in a sustainable fashion. We couldn't have chosen a better partner to introduce our sashimi-grade yellowfin and skipjack to the North American market."
In June last year, Bumble Bee launched a range of "premium" frozen seafood product under the SuperFresh label. It also recently acquired tuna company Anova Food.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities