US: Bumble Bee signs deal with Sapmer for frozen tuna
Bumble Bee has partnered Sapmer for a frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna roll out to US and Canadian retailers
US seafood company Bumble Bee Foods has teamed up partnership with French tuna catcher and processor Sapmer for distribution of frozen "sashimi-quality" tuna across North America.
The new product will be distributed across the foodservice and retail channels, including supermarkets.
"More discerning retail and food service buyers in North America are looking for the next level of quality frozen seafood products and this partnership fills the demand," Bumble Bee president and CEO Chris Lischewski said. "We've had our eye on this growing niche in the frozen industry for some time and Sapmer's approach represents the quality we've been looking for in a partner."
Sapmer has been supplying "sashimi-quality" tuna to the Japanese market. Its CEO, Yannick Lauri, added: "The relationship between Sapmer and Bumble Bee is based on synergies in our approach to producing quality products in a sustainable fashion. We couldn't have chosen a better partner to introduce our sashimi-grade yellowfin and skipjack to the North American market."
In June last year, Bumble Bee launched a range of "premium" frozen seafood product under the SuperFresh label. It also recently acquired tuna company Anova Food.
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report