UK: Burts Chips in talks to expand Lentil Waves listings
Burts says Lentil Waves contain 99 calories per bag
UK crisp maker Burts Chips has launched snacks made from lentils into Waitrose and is in talks with other retailers for further listings.
Burts has secured a three-month listing with Waitrose for Lentil Waves and is in discussions with some of the UK's four largest supermarket chains, the company has told just-food.
"Burts has an exclusive three-month deal with Waitrose to list Lentil Waves and is in conversations with other grocers, including those from the Big Four, for when this exclusivity ends in September but nothing has been confirmed as of yet," a spokesperson said.
Being made from lentils rather than potatoes, Lentil Waves absorb less oil than conventional crisps.
"The lentils are turned into a dough and then flash cooked for a just a few seconds, whereas potatoes are cooked for eight to ten minutes, this means that they are healthier because they absorb significantly less oil within their short cooking time," the spokesperson said.
However, the spokesperson said developing a healthier snack was not Burts' main focus.
"Burts wanted to develop an tasty snack that consumers would enjoy and want to eat, Lentil Waves therefore offer the perfect combination between indulgence and health," she said.
The crisps are available in multipack bags, of six 20g bags, with an RRP of GBP1.99 (US$3.40), and come in three varieties.
During the review period, Waitrose Ltd experimented with various new trends in grocery retailing including internet retailing and convenience-oriented proximity retailing. Both of these strategies hav...
Three concepts are currently shaping trends in grocery retailing in the UK: convenience stores; discounters; and online sales....
The UK retailing industry registered positive growth in 2013 despite the fact that the economic climate in the country remained challenging as consumer spending habits remained under the influence of ...
The report is a result of extensive research to provide a comprehensive understanding of the global private label market and packaging consumption; this clearly establishes market trends, packaging dy...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report