UK: Cadbury Schweppes acquires chewing gum business in China
Cadbury Schweppes today announces the acquisition of the business of Wuxi-Leaf Confectionery Co. Ltd., a company which markets, sells and manufactures sugar free and low sugar chewing gum in China. The value of the assets acquired is CNY 21 million (1.58 million pounds sterling). The acquisition also includes local trademarks such as the SPORTLIFE and POLI gum brands.Wuxi-Leaf has number 2 position in the sugar free chewing gum market in China. Situated in the city of Wuxi near a major freeway, two hours west of Shanghai, Wuxi-Leaf operates in the largest and fastest growing confectionery market in China. The total gum market in China, worth US$79 million (in 1998), is estimated to be worth double that in 2003. The sugar free segment of that market is expected to almost triple, from roughly 2% (in 1998) to 6% in 2003.This acquisition offers the opportunity for Cadbury Schweppes to achieve synergies with its existing Asia Pacific operations, for example, in distribution and the development of export markets.John Brock, Chief Operating Officer of Cadbury Schweppes, commented, "The acquisition of Wuxi-Leaf emphasises our commitment to growth markets and underlines our strategy of building strong brands and businesses."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review