USA: California Firm Recalls Pork Rinds Because Of Undeclared Ingredient
Fil-Am Specialty Foods, a Los Angeles, Calif., firm, is voluntarily recalling approximately 2,320 pounds of pork rinds because they contain monosodium glutamate (MSG), which is undeclared on the label, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today. MSG is used as a flavor enhancer in a variety of foods prepared at home, in restaurants, and by food processors. Some persons who have eaten foods containing MSG have reported adverse reactions.The pork rind products being recalled are 4 oz. packages of: Tropics brand " 'PHILIPPINE STYLE' CHICHARON (KAWALI)," "GROUND CHICHARON," and " 'PHILIPPINE STYLE' CHICHARON;" Gold Medal brand "GROUND CHICHARON," and " 'PHILIPPINE STYLE' CHICHARON;" and Amor Nino Foods Inc. brand " 'PHILIPPINE STYLE' CHICHARON KAWALI," regular and vinegar flavors.Each package bears a six digit code representing the date produced. Codes from "050100" through "063000" representing production dates from May 1 to June 30 and codes from "000701" through "000717" representing production dates from July 1 to July 17 are being recalled. In addition, "EST. 4828" appears in the USDA seal of inspection on each label. The products were distributed for retail sale in California and Hawaii."FSIS ensures that meat and poultry products are safe, wholesome, and accurately labeled," said Thomas J. Billy, FSIS administrator. "Consumers who have concerns about MSG should return the product to the point of purchase."The problem was discovered by an FSIS inspector at the establishment.Consumers and media with questions about the recall may contact Demetrio Manibog, Fil-Am Foods, at (323) 225-6130.Consumers with food safety questions can phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at l-800-535-4555. The hotline can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday, and recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report