USA: Campbell reports first quarter global soup shipments grew 4 percent
Campbell Soup Company (NYSE: CPB) yesterday reported diluted earnings per share of $.47 for the first quarter ended October 29, 2000, versus $.54 in the same period last year. Net sales in the quarter increased 1 percent to $1.8 billion, a 4 percent increase before the impact of divestitures and currency. Net earnings declined 13 percent to $204 million compared to $235 million a year earlier. This earnings performance was largely driven by the company's decision to significantly increase marketing spending on its U.S. soup business and Pepperidge Farm.David W. Johnson, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "Campbell's sales comeback is being driven by soup. First quarter global soup volume is up 4 percent. In the U.S., where our share of the wet soup market is over 70 percent, consumption is up 3 percent. This reflects an increased advertising investment on U.S. soup of 14 percent. Our commitment is to win first and foremost with the consumer." The company also reported:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review