FRANCE: Campbell takes Liebig into vegetable dishes
Liebig's vegetable dish range is that it will be packaged in cartons and produced using a technology which retains the crunchiness of the vegtables
Campbell Soup Co. is taking its French carton soup brand Liebig into ready-made vegetable dishes following successful trials in Belgium.
It will launch four dishes - red and yellow ratatouille, confit d'aubergine and vegetable tagine in French supermarkets early-2013.
There are no immediate plans to launch the range in other countries, it having been tailored to French culinary tastes.
"After three years of stability in our sales, we are now looking to accelerate growth," said Campbell's France director of marketing, Fabrice Renaudeau.
Global sales of packaged soup in France continue to grow. They increased 6% for the 12 months to the end of September to EUR500m. However, it remains a seasonal market, sensitive to the weather and the French preference for home-made soup, Renaudeau said. "We need to find other growth streams through diversifying."
Campbell is aiming to become a serious challenger to French market leader Bongrain and the other main players - private labels and D'Aucy - which have dishes packaged in cans or jars.
Liebig's range will be packaged in cartons and produced using a technology that retains the crunchiness of the vegtables, the company claims.
Campbell Soup Co. has insisted it has made progress in returning its core businesses to stable profitable growth, while simultaneously investing to develop new opportunities for expansion....
French dairy processor Bongrain believes its potential partnership with local co-op Terra Lacta will boost its presence in the market for "traditional" cheeses....
French dairy processor Bongrain and local peer Terra Lacta have confirmed they do plan to form a "partnership", although details still remain unclear....
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- The just-food interview: Premier Foods CEO Darby
- Focus: Progress but Campbell faces questions
- On the money: Can Premier build H2 sales momentum?
- On the money: Danone denies strategy overhaul
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- S&A Foods announces restructure, 55 jobs to go
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK