US: Campbell to close Pepperidge Farm bakery
Pepperidge closes bakery
Pepperidge Farm, the bakery business of Campbell Soup Co., has confirmed plans to close a bakery in South Carolina, with the loss of 115 jobs.
The site in Aiken produces Pepperidge Farm breads. However, the company said operations at the facility are no longer viable following the discontinuation of a product that accounts for a significant proportion of the site's capacity.
In order to "grow and flourish" the company needs to be "innovative and agile, with the most cost-effective manufacturing facilities", it said.
Commenting on the news, Bill Livingstone, SVP of supply chain and operations, said there was over-capacity in the firm's baking network.
Pepperidge will close the bakery in phases, starting in September, and will cease operations at the facility in March.
The majority of bread produced at the site will shift to the group's bakery in Lakeland in Florida.
M&A levels remained relatively subdued in 2013. Growing private-equity interest and something of a shift in capital flows to mature markets have been significant trends shaping the M&A landscape. Whil...
Plimsoll Publishing’s ORGANIC FOOD MANUFACTURERS (Global) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the ORGANIC FOOD MANUFACTURERS (Global) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on th...
Continued evidence of the global slowdown has meant that food companies faced a year of weak consumer sentiment in 2013. This impacted demand across global markets. The food industry responded by incr...
The horsemeat scandal, the fixing of infant formula prices in China, Fonterra's botulism scare and the UK's push towards "hybrid" nutrition labels were among the news stories that grabbed your attenti...
Amazon has added a range of grocery products to its online range in Canada....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- Nestle makes "major pledge" on animal welfare