FINLAND: Candy Plus boosts Raisio profits
Candy Plus factor in better operating profit at Raisio, despite lower sales
Finland-based food group Raisio today (13 February) reported higher annual profits, helped by improved sales from confectionery arm Candy Plus.
Raisio's net profit more than doubled from EUR12m (US$16.4m) in 2012 to EUR26.2m in 2013. Its bottom line in 2012 had been hit by a spike in financial expenses.
The company upped its operating profit despite lower sales. Net sales were down 4.5% at EUR557.6m, in part due to 2012 including businesses Raisio sold over the last year, including a non-dairy division.
However, the Honey Monster owner also pointed to a fall in breakfast cereal sales in the UK due to "low promotional levels" and, notably, "negative publicity related to sugar".
Nevertheless, EBIT was up from EUR31.7m in 2012 to EUR33.6m in 2013. Raisio said EBIT from its branded business rose from EUR34.9m to EUR35.7m. The company said its acquisition of Candy Plus, struck in November 2012, helped earnings from its business in western Europe.
Sales of Benecol products helped branded profits in northern and eastern Europe. However, Raisio said EBIT from the Benecol business itself fell due to decreased sales volume of plant stanol ester and contract manufacturing.
While volume sales were sluggish in many categories in 2012, retail current value sales saw healthy growth. However, value sales did not exceed the growth in 2011, despite the raised sweets tax in Jan...
Gluten is a protein composite primarily found in wheat, barley, rye, and triticale. Gluten-free food is either free of ingredients that contain gluten or does not contain grains that are gluten rich. ...
The UK advertising watchdog has banned Raisio's online advert for its Honey Monster cereal, alleging it breached EU rules on health and nutrition claims. ...
Health and wellness food products can be defined as foods and beverages that are specially formulated and distinctively marketed to provide a distinct health or functional benefit to the consumers. Th...
Gluten-free products are slowly becoming a regular grocery item. As large supermarkets and mass retailers focus more on the ‘free-from’ products, sales of gluten-free products in health and natural fo...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019