FINLAND: Candy Plus boosts Raisio profits
Candy Plus factor in better operating profit at Raisio, despite lower sales
Finland-based food group Raisio today (13 February) reported higher annual profits, helped by improved sales from confectionery arm Candy Plus.
Raisio's net profit more than doubled from EUR12m (US$16.4m) in 2012 to EUR26.2m in 2013. Its bottom line in 2012 had been hit by a spike in financial expenses.
The company upped its operating profit despite lower sales. Net sales were down 4.5% at EUR557.6m, in part due to 2012 including businesses Raisio sold over the last year, including a non-dairy division.
However, the Honey Monster owner also pointed to a fall in breakfast cereal sales in the UK due to "low promotional levels" and, notably, "negative publicity related to sugar".
Nevertheless, EBIT was up from EUR31.7m in 2012 to EUR33.6m in 2013. Raisio said EBIT from its branded business rose from EUR34.9m to EUR35.7m. The company said its acquisition of Candy Plus, struck in November 2012, helped earnings from its business in western Europe.
Sales of Benecol products helped branded profits in northern and eastern Europe. However, Raisio said EBIT from the Benecol business itself fell due to decreased sales volume of plant stanol ester and contract manufacturing.
The UK advertising watchdog has banned Raisio's online advert for its Honey Monster cereal, alleging it breached EU rules on health and nutrition claims. ...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights