FINLAND: Candy Plus boosts Raisio profits
Candy Plus factor in better operating profit at Raisio, despite lower sales
Finland-based food group Raisio today (13 February) reported higher annual profits, helped by improved sales from confectionery arm Candy Plus.
Raisio's net profit more than doubled from EUR12m (US$16.4m) in 2012 to EUR26.2m in 2013. Its bottom line in 2012 had been hit by a spike in financial expenses.
The company upped its operating profit despite lower sales. Net sales were down 4.5% at EUR557.6m, in part due to 2012 including businesses Raisio sold over the last year, including a non-dairy division.
However, the Honey Monster owner also pointed to a fall in breakfast cereal sales in the UK due to "low promotional levels" and, notably, "negative publicity related to sugar".
Nevertheless, EBIT was up from EUR31.7m in 2012 to EUR33.6m in 2013. Raisio said EBIT from its branded business rose from EUR34.9m to EUR35.7m. The company said its acquisition of Candy Plus, struck in November 2012, helped earnings from its business in western Europe.
Sales of Benecol products helped branded profits in northern and eastern Europe. However, Raisio said EBIT from the Benecol business itself fell due to decreased sales volume of plant stanol ester and contract manufacturing.
The UK advertising watchdog has banned Raisio's online advert for its Honey Monster cereal, alleging it breached EU rules on health and nutrition claims. ...
While volume sales were sluggish in many categories in 2012, retail current value sales saw healthy growth. However, value sales did not exceed the growth in 2011, despite the raised sweets tax in Jan...
Gluten is a protein composite primarily found in wheat, barley, rye, and triticale. Gluten-free food is either free of ingredients that contain gluten or does not contain grains that are gluten rich. ...
Health and wellness food products can be defined as foods and beverages that are specially formulated and distinctively marketed to provide a distinct health or functional benefit to the consumers. Th...
Gluten-free products are slowly becoming a regular grocery item. As large supermarkets and mass retailers focus more on the ‘free-from’ products, sales of gluten-free products in health and natural fo...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019