CHINA: Cargill builds first animal protein plant
Rising incomes has led to higher meat consumption in China, Cargill said.
Cargill is building its first animal protein processing site in China to tap into growing meat consumption as incomes in the country grow.
The plant, in China's eastern Anhui province, will process broilers and is scheduled to be ready by next summer.
The US agribusiness giant is spending an initial US$250m on the facility, which is designed for 64.8m broilers a year.
"Rising incomes and urbanisation in China are driving more diversified and convenient diets. Higher income has also increased the consumption for meat proteins," Cargill told just-food. "Our initial focus will be on the quick service restaurant channel as well as food manufacturers. We will consider providing products and services to other channels as the opportunities arise."
US agribusiness giant Cargill has settled a long-running dispute with the Mexican government over trade barriers erected against high-fructose corn syrup....
Agri-giant Bunge has announced chief executive Alberto Weisser plans to retire at the beginning of June, to be replaced by the CEO of its North American arm Soren Schroder....
Cargill has secured a deal to acquire two animal feed mills from the bankrupt Pennfield Corporation in the US for US$9.8m....
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019