US: Cargill coy over "interest" in ADM cocoa business
Cargill performed due diligence on the ADM business last month, a source told Reuters
ADM last month confirmed it was in talks over a potential sale of its cocoa business. A spokesperson for the group said the company was evaluating "strategic options" for the unit as part of its long-term commitment to "create shareholder value".
According to a Reuters report yesterday (2 July), Cargill performed due diligence on the ADM business last month. Reuters, however, said it was "unclear" whether Cargill has placed, or intends to place, a bid for ADM's unit, which is estimated to be worth around US$2bn.
A spokesperson for Cargill told just-food: "At any one time Cargill is assessing a number of initiatives to progress its business strategy. It is our policy that we will communicate as and when there is anything definitive. We do not comment on rumours or speculation."
Cargill and ADM are the second- and third-largest cocoa grinders worldwide. Barry Callebaut took the top spot after its acquisition of Petra Foods' cocoa ingredients business, which closed at the weekend.
Perhaps the biggest story of the year, with the widest impact on the sector, was the horsemeat contamination saga. However, it was ironic the scandal should occur when food companies are placing incre...
Archer Daniels Midland is to pay US$54m to settle cases of bribery at a subsidiary in Ukraine....
Our discussion of Whole Foods' battle to see off newly-listed rivals Sprouts Farmers Market and Fairway, Unilever's ongoing moves to rationalise its portfolio, the impact Chinese demand was having on ...
Cargill has started work on doubling the production capacity of a chocolate manufacturing site in Belgium....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements