AUS: Cargill seeks to acquire Goodman Fielder oils unit
Cargill is to revive a deal the Australia's competition watchdog rejected two years ago
The move, reported last week, revives a deal Australia's competition watchdog rejected two years ago.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) opposed the A$240m (US$238.5m) sale in November 2010 and said the deal would lead to a "significant concentration of refining assets in Australia".
In a statement today (28 May), Cargill said it has requested the ACCC to conduct market inquiries about its intent to acquire the business.
"We believe market conditions have changed significantly enough over the past several months to allow us to meet the necessary regulatory approvals to acquire the business. There is a formal and confidential sales process in place, and we are not in a position to comment further," the company said.
Goodman Fielder, which is 10% owned by Singapore palm oil company Wilmar International, put its Integro edible fats and oils business and its New Zealand milling arm up for sale six months ago. Final bids are reportedly due at the end of June.
Reducing the amount of food waste that goes to landfill is a sustainability challenge faced the world over. Ben Cooper takes a look at an initiative in the US which brings together retailers, manufact...
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report