AUS: Cargill seeks to acquire Goodman Fielder oils unit
Cargill is to revive a deal the Australia's competition watchdog rejected two years ago
The move, reported last week, revives a deal Australia's competition watchdog rejected two years ago.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) opposed the A$240m (US$238.5m) sale in November 2010 and said the deal would lead to a "significant concentration of refining assets in Australia".
In a statement today (28 May), Cargill said it has requested the ACCC to conduct market inquiries about its intent to acquire the business.
"We believe market conditions have changed significantly enough over the past several months to allow us to meet the necessary regulatory approvals to acquire the business. There is a formal and confidential sales process in place, and we are not in a position to comment further," the company said.
Goodman Fielder, which is 10% owned by Singapore palm oil company Wilmar International, put its Integro edible fats and oils business and its New Zealand milling arm up for sale six months ago. Final bids are reportedly due at the end of June.
Reducing the amount of food waste that goes to landfill is a sustainability challenge faced the world over. Ben Cooper takes a look at an initiative in the US which brings together retailers, manufact...
- What Grexit could mean for the food industry
- just-food's pick: Top trends at Fancy Food Show
- Focus: Can General Mills improve US retail sales?
- How Russia's embargo affects domestic firms
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- Mondelez launches Oreo Thins in US
- Leclerc to contest ruling on supplier payments
- North Castle acquires stake in Sprout
- ABF's Kingsmill returns to Tesco
- UK's first free range milk label launched
- Nestlé SA in Packaged Food: Confectionery, Ice Cream, Sauces, Dressings and Condiments (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: News and Events April 2015