AUS: Cargill seeks to acquire Goodman Fielder oils unit
Cargill is to revive a deal the Australia's competition watchdog rejected two years ago
The move, reported last week, revives a deal Australia's competition watchdog rejected two years ago.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) opposed the A$240m (US$238.5m) sale in November 2010 and said the deal would lead to a "significant concentration of refining assets in Australia".
In a statement today (28 May), Cargill said it has requested the ACCC to conduct market inquiries about its intent to acquire the business.
"We believe market conditions have changed significantly enough over the past several months to allow us to meet the necessary regulatory approvals to acquire the business. There is a formal and confidential sales process in place, and we are not in a position to comment further," the company said.
Goodman Fielder, which is 10% owned by Singapore palm oil company Wilmar International, put its Integro edible fats and oils business and its New Zealand milling arm up for sale six months ago. Final bids are reportedly due at the end of June.
Reducing the amount of food waste that goes to landfill is a sustainability challenge faced the world over. Ben Cooper takes a look at an initiative in the US which brings together retailers, manufact...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights