USA: Cargill's Excel announces layoffs after US BSE case cuts beef demand
US beef producer Excel Corp, a subsidiary of agribusiness Cargill, has said it has laid off up to 7% of its workforce at five US beef plants in response to lower beef demand caused by the discovery of a case of BSE, or mad cow disease, in Washington state in December.
"A number of countries have banned US beef, and there are some products we will not now be processing for export. That has led to the layoffs," Bill Rupp, Excel's executive vice president, was quoted by Reuters as saying.
Excel said it would lay off between 100 and 150 people at each of its five US beef processing plants.
More than 20 countries, including top buyers Japan, Mexico and South Korea, banned imports of US beef after the discovery of the first US case of BSE in December.
The US Department of Agriculture says it has identified the source of the case of BSE confirmed recently....
US agriculture secretary Mike Johanns has announced that the US Department of Agriculture has received final test results from the Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Weybridge, England, confirming that...
Biotechnology company Vacci-Test Corporation has announced that a simple, reliable and economical diagnostic tool for the detection in live cattle of infectious brain diseases, including Bovine Spongi...
The US Department of Agriculture has said a suspected BSE sample has been sent to the UK for further testing after two separate tests gave different results....
The Ugandan government has banned the import of all dairy products to stop the possible entry of the disease BSE, according to the agency AFP....
Japan's independent Food Safety Commission has today (Friday) approved an easing of the blanket testing of all cows for BSE, paving the way for lifting an import ban on US beef, the Kyodo news agency ...
US meat company Tyson Foods Inc has reported lower income, despite higher sales, for the quarter and half year ended 2 April....
US meat company has filed a brief supporting the US Department of Agriculture's appeal against a recent court decision that has delayed the reopening of the US border to Canadian cattle imports....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review