ISRAEL: Carmit Candy launches pea-protein snack
Carmit has launched a new pea-protein, gluten free, wafer bar
Israel-based confectioner Carmit Candy Industries has launched a pea-protein fortified gluten free wafer snack bar.
The new product is designed for "the consumer who wants to curb hunger, add a much needed dose of protein to his/her diet and still enjoy a tasty, guilt-free snack within a healthy, gluten-free lifestyle," said the firm.
Each wafer bar provides 10% of the recommended daily protein intake.
"We chose pea protein over other, more common protein sources such as whey or soy because of its full amino-acid profile; the rise of veganism and demand for vegan and vegetarian products; and, most importantly, because of the non-allergenic properties of peas," said Steve Grun, CEO of Carmit.
"In addition to the protein itself, we believe the carrier-in this case, a gluten- and egg-free wafer bar, is a novel and exciting way to deliver a healthy dose of protein."
Adrian Sagman, VP of international sales and marketing at Carmit said: "The primary challenge in developing this wafer bar was making sure the product tastes great. That's not always easy when working with pea protein, as it tends to have a dominant flavor and a high viscosity. To counterbalance the pea flavor, a 60% dark chocolate coating was employed. This masks any perceived off flavors of the protein, without eliminating completely the favourable flavor attributes.
The bars are being offered as private-label products to retailers, supplement makers and confectionery manufacturers.
Carmit produces gluten free, dairy free and fortified confectionery and bakery products. It also manufactures and markets products to North America, Europe and the Pacific Rim.
- What Grexit could mean for the food industry
- just-food's pick: Top trends at Fancy Food Show
- Focus: Can General Mills improve US retail sales?
- How Russia's embargo affects domestic firms
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- Mondelez launches Oreo Thins in US
- Leclerc to contest ruling on supplier payments
- North Castle acquires stake in Sprout
- ABF's Kingsmill returns to Tesco
- UK's first free range milk label launched
- Nestlé SA in Packaged Food: Confectionery, Ice Cream, Sauces, Dressings and Condiments (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: News and Events April 2015