TURKEY: Carrefour acquires Gima, Endi
The Turkish subsidiary of French supermarket Carrefour has announced plans to take control of retailers Gima and Endi.
Carrefour Turkey has entered into a binding agreement with Fiba Holdings to acquire the shares it owns in two Turkish retailers, Gima and Endi.
Gima is the number 3 supermarket chain in Turkey operating 81 stores throughout the country. Endi is the number 4 discount chain in Turkey operating 45 stores. GIMA and ENDI together reported 2004 consolidated net sales of approx. €384m (US$498m), Carrefour said. Fiba owns 60% of Gima and 56% of Endi. Gima owns the remaining 44% of Endi directly.
Following the acquisition of Fiba's shares, Carrefour Turkey would launch a public tender for the remaining shares in Gima.
This transaction confirms the commitment of Carrefour and its partner Sabanci, which owns 40% of Carrefour Turkey, in expanding joint operations in the Turkish market, the company said. This operation is part of Carrefour Group's overall strategy to establish market leadership in all markets where it is present.
Retailers are expanding ever further, and food manufacturers are becoming more and more multinational. Expansion can bring increased profits, not just through higher sales but also more efficient sour...
Buying power is often used by supermarkets to negotiate with their suppliers to get lower prices. These savings can then be passed onto the consumer in terms of price cuts and promotions. But do consu...
Retailer Carrefour is considering selling its 11 hypermarkets in the Czech Republic, according to a report in the newspaper Mlada fronta Dnes today (Thursday), cited by the Reuters news agency....
French retail giant Carrefour has denied newspaper claims that it has been holding talks with US titan Wal-Mart....
Carrefour of France is the top foreign retailer in China, measured by sales during the first half of the year, according to a Chinese Ministry of Commerce survey quoted by the Dow Jones news agency....
A judge in Buenos Aires province has imposed an embargo of more than 150m pesos (US$52.4m) on French retailer Carrefour in favour of provincial tax authorities, according to the Dow Jones news agency....
French based supermarket chain Carrefour has announced a rise in sales of 4.1% to €20.4m in the second quarter of 2005....
French supermarket chain plans to buy French low-cost supermarket Penny Market from Germany's Rewe, while selling catering supplies group Prodirest to transGourmet, a joint venture between Rewe and S...
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Interview: KP Snacks on growth strategy
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- TreeHouse Foods sells soup, baby food units