MALAYSIA: Carrefour aims to double business by 2012
Carrefour, the French retailer, plans to double the number of stores it has in Malaysia by 2012.
Guillaume de Colonges, head of Carrefour's operations in Malaysia, told the local press today (16 November) that the company hoped to take its business in the country from 16 to 20 stores by the end of the year - and then build to 40 by 2012.
"We want to do in three years what we took 15 years to do before," de Colonges told the local Business Times newspaper.
Tesco and pan-Asian retailer Dairy Farm International Holdings remain ahead of Carrefour in Malaysia in terms of number of stores.
De Colonges added that he sees Carrefour's revenue in Malaysia rising by a fifth in 2009; turnover in the country climbed 20.5% in 2008.
"In the first half, Carrefour had some difficulties. But, in the past few weeks since Ramadhan, we have been experiencing some improvement in our business," he told the newspaper.
When contacted by just-food, the world's second-largest retailer said it had "no further comment" to make on its ambitions in Malaysia.
With India's huge population, economic expansion and rapidly developing middle-class, the Indian retail sector has long been viewed as a highly desirable prize for international retailers....
French dairy co-op Isigny Sainte-Mère, better known for its AOC butter products, is eyeing further growth in its own-label infant formula business, especially in Asia....
UK retail grabbed the headlines this week, with Wal-Mart announcing the appointment of a new CEO for local arm Asda and Sainsbury's booking a set of bumper full-year results....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review