SWITZERLAND: Carrefour arrives in hypermarket joint venture with Maus Freres
The world's second largest retailer, Carrefour of France, has announced today (4 October) its imminent arrival in Switzerland, courtesy of a joint venture with Maus Freres. Family owned Maus Freres will sell a 40% stake in ten food hypermarkets from its Jumbo supermarket and DIY chain, the second largest in the country with 1999 sales of CHF1.3bn, by the end of 2000. The sum involved remains undisclosed, however, and after five years Carrefour's stake may be increased to 50%.The Jumbo hypermarket chain will be renamed "Carrefour" over the course of next year, but the 35 DIY stores will remain fully under the control of Maus Freres.Based in Geneva, the Swiss company hopes that the purchasing power of French giant Carrefour will facilitate lower prices. The chairman Didier Maus, commented: "We needed to find a partner with a leading European position in buying. These advantages will be of direct benefit to Swiss consumers."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020