INDIA: Carrefour, Bharti "in talks" over tie-up
France's Carrefour is reportedly in talks with Bharti Group over a potential joint venture in India.
According to Indian publication The Economic Times, the companies are in "advanced talks" over the formation of a cash-and-carry venture in which Bharti would hold a majority stake.
The news comes after Bharti's joint venture with Wal-Mart was dissolved last October when the Indian conglomerate sold its 50% stake in the business to the US retailer.
Carrefour set up a wholesale unit in India in 2010 and there has been speculation that the French retailer could be preparing to exploit the easing of restrictions governing foreign direct investment in the retail sector through the establishment of a consumer-facing retail channel.
Carrfour chief executive Georges Plassat said the company was nearing a decision on how to proceed in India and hinted an announcement could be imminent as the group announced its full-year results last month.
Speaking to media in Paris, Plassat said: ""We are currently thinking about India. We have a small busines in India - it doesn't bring any losses or gains - but the true challenge is to know how to tackle India for the next 20 years," Plassat said. "The changes in the regulatory framework still mean this is a very complex, challenging country. I cannot tell you where we are because I don't know, to be honest. We are currently working on that. I think we will be able to answer your question in the next few months."
Carrefour and Bharti did not return requests for comment.
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Spain. Introduction and Landscape Why was the repo...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in India....
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report