FRANCE/UK: Carrefour billionaire killed in plane crash
French billionaire Paul-Louis Halley was among three people killed in a plane crash near Oxford in central England at the weekend.
Halley, a principal shareholder in French retail giant Carrefour, died when the light aircraft he was travelling in crashed while attempting to land on Saturday. Halley's wife and the plane's pilot were also killed.
Halley co-founded distribution business Promodes in 1961 with his father and brother. He opened his first supermarket in 1962 and went on to develop the Champion chain of supermarkets, Continent hypermarkets and Shopi convenience stores. Halley became president of the board of Promodes in 1972 and agreed in 1999 to merge the company with grocery retailer Carrefour, now the world's second-largest supermarket group, reported Reuters.
Retailers are expanding ever further, and food manufacturers are becoming more and more multinational. Expansion can bring increased profits, not just through higher sales but also more efficient sour...
Buying power is often used by supermarkets to negotiate with their suppliers to get lower prices. These savings can then be passed onto the consumer in terms of price cuts and promotions. But do consu...
French retail giant Carrefour has denied newspaper claims that it has been holding talks with US titan Wal-Mart....
Carrefour of France is the top foreign retailer in China, measured by sales during the first half of the year, according to a Chinese Ministry of Commerce survey quoted by the Dow Jones news agency....
A judge in Buenos Aires province has imposed an embargo of more than 150m pesos (US$52.4m) on French retailer Carrefour in favour of provincial tax authorities, according to the Dow Jones news agency....
French based supermarket chain Carrefour has announced a rise in sales of 4.1% to €20.4m in the second quarter of 2005....
French supermarket chain plans to buy French low-cost supermarket Penny Market from Germany's Rewe, while selling catering supplies group Prodirest to transGourmet, a joint venture between Rewe and S...
French supermarket Carrefour has acquires 10 hypermarkets in the Sao Paulo area from Sonae, it said today (Thursday)....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016