INDIA: Carrefour CEO hints at India decision "in months"
Carrefour has "small" cash-and-carry business in India
Carrefour CEO Georges Plassat today (5 March) indicated the company could announce if it will exploit the easing of regulations on foreign direct investment in India's retail sector in a matter of months.
The French retail giant set up a cash-and-carry business in India in 2010 and there has been local speculation it could enter the multi-brand, consumer-facing retail channel after New Delhi relaxed restrictions last year.
Speaking to media and analysts in Paris this morning after Carrefour reported its 2013 results, Plassat said the world's second-largest retailer was mulling its options for India but could soon announce a decision.
"We are currently thinking about India. We have a small busines in India - it doesn't bring any losses or gains - but the true challenge is to know how to tackle India for the next 20 years," Plassat said. "The changes in the regulatory framework still mean this is a very complex, challenging country. I cannot tell you where we are because I don't know, to be honest. We are currently working on that. I think we will be able to answer your question in the next few months."
In December, Tesco set out a plan to become the first foreign retailer in India to run multi-brand outlets, with a deal to invest in local operator Trent Hypermarket.
The UK retail giant struck a deal to own 50% of Trent Hypermarket Limited, a retail subsidiary of Indian conglomerate Tata Group.
Wal-Mart, which last autumn decided to go it alone in India with the end of its wholesale venture with Bharti Enterprises, has indicated it believes India's new rules on overseas investment in consumer-facing stores are not yet right.
Carrefour, which has quit some international markets in recent years, has indicated plans to invest in emerging markets. Its operations in Asia take in stores in China and Taiwan.
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Czech Republic....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco Kipa’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Turkey....
Canadean's "Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi A.S. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019