RUSSIA: Carrefour confirms US$100m investment
French retail giant Carrefour has confirmed its plans to invest up to US$100m over the next five years to develop a hypermarket business in the Krasnodar region in southern Russia.
An investment framework was agreed during the VII International Investment Forum in Sochi.
Carrefour said that Krasnodar is a region with "considerable economic potential" and a favourable investment climate.
"It will be one of the first regions in Russia where [the] Carrefour business will operate," Carrefour CEO Jose Luis Duran said.
Under the investment project Carrefour will open several hypermarkets and retain the option to open other store formats in the future.
Local authorities in the Krasnodar region have pledged to support the Carrefour venture by finding suitable land plots for lease or purchase and connecting stores to the municipal infrastructure.
The first Carrefour hypermarket in the region will be located in the shopping mall on Stasovoy Street in Krasnodar city, the company revealed. The store opening is scheduled for the beginning of 2009.
Meanwhile, Carrefour declined to comment on reports that it is looking to buy local retail chain Lenta.
Financial sources have said Carrefour is one of the front-runners in a race that is also said to include rival international retailer Wal-Mart.
It's been a busy week for just-food with the team in attendance at the IFE at London's ExCel, and then at the Retail Week Conference. Coverage from both events proved popular among readers. Elsewhere,...
French retailers have agreed to lower prices on certain products in 2009, the junior minister for industry and consumer affairs Luc Chatel has said....
US retail giant Wal-Mart has announced a revamp of its Great Value private-label brand in the US....
French retail giant Carrefour has appointed Pierre Bouchut as the group's new finance chief....
It was a tale of two retailers last week, two companies separated by the English Channel. Ailing French giant Carrefour posted weak 2008 figures and laid out plans to bounce back in 2009. Meanwhile, i...
Lars Olofsson joined French retail giant Carrefour at the beginning of January. In his three months at the head of the company, he has developed a turnaround strategy that focuses the group's attentio...
Carrefour could be preparing for a major restructuring of its operations in fiscal 2009 in order to address its lacklustre sales and profits growth, industry watchers have suggested....
French retail giant Carrefour plans to cut operating costs and increase price promotions in a bid to boost earnings and kick-start sales after posting flat annual profits....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016