FRANCE: Carrefour eyeing expansion in Greece, Russia
According to local reports, France's number one retail chain Carrefour is eyeing expansion in Greece and Russia. However, when contacted by just-food, the company declined to confirm its interest in these specific markets.
Carrefour's Greek unit, Carrefour Marinopoulos, reportedly plans to invest EUR100m a year between 2006 and 2008 to expand in the market. The plans are said to include the opening of 20 new Marinopoulos supermarkets and 20 5'Marinopoulos stores by the end of 2006.
Meanwhile, Turkish reports have suggested that Carrefour intends to enter the Russian market through a joint venture with Turkish company Sabanci Holding.
It currently operates 12 hypermarkets and 88 supermarkets in Turkey in partnership with Sabanci under the Carrefoursa banner. In March, Carrefour said it planned to expand in Turkey through the opening of four new hypermarkets a year between 2006 and 2008 with the aim of increasing its market share by 20%.
A spokesperson for the retailer said: "I am unable to confirm specific expansion plans, although we are looking to increase our market share in strategically important markets arround the world."
Spanish supermarket chain Condis expects sales to rise 5% to EUR703m (US$922.52m)this year, boosted by strong demand for its white-label brands. The chain reportedly plans to open 15 supermarkets in t...
Groupe Carrefour has refused to comment on its stance on a private equity takeover....
French retail giant Carrefour is poised to announce a joint venture with Indian business Wadia, according to the Financial Times....
The world's largest retailer Wal-Mart has told just-food that while it is watching the Russian retail market with interest, it does not currently have any plans to enter the sector....
French retailer Auchan has reportedly been in talks to establish a joint venture with Bombay Dyeing, a company owned by the Wadia Group....
French retailer Carrefour is close to signing a deal with an Indian company to allow it to enter the Indian retail market, India's Trade Minister Kamal Nath said today (01 February)....
With Russia's largest supermarket operator X5 denying reports yesterday (29 January) that it is considering a takeover bid from an international retailer but confirming that it could be in talks regar...
Groupe Carrefour is planning to carry its retail chain into Russia by the end of 2007, according to reports in the UK press....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image