TAIWAN: Carrefour looks to take on hard-discounter rival
According to a report in the Taipei Times, Carrefour Taiwan is planning to take on Pxmart, the nations only hard-discounter, within the next five years as growth in the hypermarket sector slows.
With 43 stores in Taiwan, Carrefour commands 46% of the domestic organised retail industry. The retailer aims to add an additional five stores to its portfolio by the end of the year and has set sales targets for the year of NT70bn (US2.1bn). By 2010 Carrefour aims to have 80 stores in operation.
"Compared to Europe, where the store density is one hypermarket for every 50,000 people, Taiwan still has a large room for development with one store per 200,000 people," Carrefour spokesman Allan Tien told the Taiwanese media.
Carrefour intends to pursue an aggressive pricing strategy and suggested that the hypermarket sector will continue to grow at the expanse of traditional markets.
In order to build up its market share, Carrefour's retail prices are 10-15% lower than those in hypermarkets and 20-30% cheaper than those in supermarkets, according to the company's web site.
French retailer Carrefour is close to signing a deal with an Indian company to allow it to enter the Indian retail market, India's Trade Minister Kamal Nath said today (01 February)....
With Russia's largest supermarket operator X5 denying reports yesterday (29 January) that it is considering a takeover bid from an international retailer but confirming that it could be in talks regar...
Groupe Carrefour is planning to carry its retail chain into Russia by the end of 2007, according to reports in the UK press....
X5 Retail Group has denied reports that it has entered into talks with Tesco, Wal-Mart and Carrefour over the possible sale of a stake in Russia's largest retailer....
UK chain Tesco has opened its first own-brand retail store in China....
French retailer Carrefour plans to open at least 100 hypermarkets around the world this year, reported local press....
French retailer Carrefour has revealed plans to open between 20 and 25 new hypermarkets in China during 2007....
Carrefour will highlight its low prices in its first-ever adverts to be broadcast on terrestrial television....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report