ALBANIA: Carrefour opens first hypermarket in Albania

By Katie Smith | 29 November 2011

Carrefour has today (29 November) confirmed that it has opened its first hypermarket in Albania.

The 6500m sq ft store in Tirana opened on Saturday. Last year, the French retailer signed a joint venture with Marinopoulos, a company it already has a business relationship with, to develop hypermarkets and supermarkets under its namesake franchise in the Balkans.

Marinopoulos Group owns 60% of the venture, while Carrefour Marinopoulos holds the remaining 40% stake.

The spokesperson said that the opening of the hypermarket is connected to the partnership with the two companies.

When contacted by just-food, the company was unable to disclose the financial cost of the expansion and whether it is looking to open any more of these stores in the near future. 

Sectors: Emerging markets, Mergers & acquisitions, Retail

Companies: Carrefour

View next/previous articles

Currently reading -

ALBANIA: Carrefour opens first hypermarket in Albania

There are currently no comments on this article

Be the first to comment on this article

Related research

Carrefour in Italy: Local Profile

This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’ store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Italy....

Carrefour in France: Local Profile

This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’ store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in France....

Related articles

Quote, unquote: just-food's week in words

A raft of earnings results kept the just-food news desk busy this week. M&S chief executive Marc Bolland insisted its product development sets it apart from rival grocers, while Campbell Soup CEO Denise Morrison expressed her disappointment at the firm's US soup performance this year. Elsewhere, just-food spoke with Peter Lauritzen, CEO of Arla UK, and Neil Kennedy, chief executive of Milk Link, on the merits of their merger.

GLOBAL: Cargill questions "viability" of RTRS soy scheme

US agribusiness giant Cargill has expressed concern over the Round Table for Responsible Soy, a scheme to encourage more sustainable production of the commodity.

GLOBAL: RTRS chief insists soy scheme can grow

The Round Table for Responsible Soy can expand, the president of the sustainable soy scheme has insisted.

Welcome to the home of food information, insight & intelligence

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page