MALAYSIA/SINGAPORE: Carrefour "puts breaks on store sale"
Carrefour's store bidders are said to include Aeon, Tesco and Singapore's Dairy Farm
French retail giant Carrefour has suspended the sale of its Malaysian and Singapore stores, after bidders offered little to persuade it to sell its operations, according to reports.
It is understood Carrefour rejected offers in a second round of bidding that closed on 5 November, Reuters reported today (16 November), informing bidders that the sale had been "put on hold".
"The prospect that progress would be made on negotations within this year has now disappeared," a source told the publication.
Carrefour announced yesterday (15 November) it has sold its Thai business to Casino subsidiary Big C for EUR868m (US$1.2bn).
Carrefour said the decision to sell the 42 outlets was part of its strategy to "focus its resources on markets where it holds a leadership position and optimise its capital employed".
The Food and Drink Federation (FDF), which represents UK food manufacturers, shows little sign of relinquishing its dogged support of a system based solely on percentage of guideline daily amounts (GD...
Transport giant Eddie Stobart has questioned the strategy of Unite, the union representing delivery drivers who work at a Doncaster distribution centre supplying Tesco stores, after the drivers voted ...
UK cheese producer Bridgehead Foods has said it is targeting expansion in the US, where it hopes to be at the forefront of the cheese adult snacking category....
Tesco delivery drivers employed by transportation group Eddie Stobart have rejected the latest offer from the company, with union representatives calling the negotiations "very disappointing"....
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Hovis CEO Spooner leaves bread maker
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Supermarkets in China
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report