FRANCE: Carrefour Q1 sales down but meet analyst forecasts
Carrefour sales in China fell again
Carrefour this morning (10 April) posted a mixed set of first-quarter sales that led to group revenue dropping almost 4%, although the decline met analyst expectations.
The French retail giant reported a 3.7% fall in sales to EUR19.79bn. A poll of analysts by Bloomberg had forecast sales would fall by that amount.
Carrefour said foreign exchange, this year's later Easter and a drop in petrol prices hit its top line. Without these factors, sales were up 3.7%, it said.
Like-for-like sales in France were up 1.7%, with growth across all formats.
In Spain, Carrefour reported its second quarter of sales growth in a row. Like-for-likes were up 0.6%. Sales in Belgium increased 1.5% on a like-for-like basis. However, sales in Italy tumbled 5.9%.
Carrefour's performance in emerging markets was mixed. Like-for-like sales in Latin America were up 12.7%, with sales in Brazil's accelerating compared to the fourth quarter.
However, like-for-likes in Asia dropped 2.5%, with sales in China down 3.1%.
Sanford Bernstein analyst Bruno Monteyne said Carrefour's results were "in line with expectations". He pointed to slowing like-for-like sales from Carrefour's hypermarkets and supermarkets but remarked the retailer's performance in Italy was "very poor".
He added: "International markets were very mixed, the recovery continued in Spain and Belgium, Brazil continues to see high growth; but Italy is in freefall and China is still showing negative like-for-like growth."
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Spain. Introduction and Landscape Why was the repo...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in India....
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Turkey....
Given the economic slowdown in China, Carrefour will be more cautious about the development of its hypermarkets. However, the focus on product quality will not change as the company continues to stren...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report