FRANCE: Carrefour sees growth in France, China
Carrefour sees sales accelerate
Carrefour has booked sales growth in the troubled markets of France and China, pushing shares in the French retailer up in morning trade today (17 October).
In a sales update this morning, Carrefour said it saw "solid" sales growth in the third quarter, with revenues up 2.7% to EUR21.1bn (US$28.7bn) at constant exchange rates.
In France, the company reported growth across "all formats", with sales up 3% excluding petrol.
In its domestic market, where the group generates around 40% of sales, Carrefour has struggled in particular to deliver growth at its hypermarket business. However, speaking last week at the World Retail Congress in Paris, chief executive Georges Plassat insisted the hypermarket format is "not dead". Today, the group said French hypermarket sales rose 3%, reversing a 1.1% decline in the second quarter and a 2.9% drop in the first three months of the fiscal.
International sales rose 3.8% in the three months, Europe's largest retailer revealed. Gains were driven by strong growth in Latin America, where sales were up 11.2%.
The company also revealed it was able to drive further like-for-like sales growth in China. The retailer said sales in China grew for the second consecutive quarter, up 1.1% after a 0.4% rise in the second quarter.
Sales in the first nine months of the year were up 1.8%, the company added.
The result prompted a 2.13% increase in Carrefour shares, which rose to EUR27.40 at 11am (GMT) today.
Solid sales growth in Q3 2013: +2.7% at constant exchange rates
Further sales growth in France Continued growth in Latin America and China
Q3 2013: Solid sales growth, + 2.7% at constant exchange rates to €21.1bn
· In France, all formats posted growth; sales up 3.0% ex-petrol and up 1.4% on a reported basis
· International: Sales up 3.8% at constant exchange rates
o Continued growth in Latin America, with sales up 11.2% at constant exchange rates; excellent performance in Brazil o Further like-for-like sales growth in China this quarter
Original source: Carrefour
Carrefour has sealed a deal to buy 128 stores in France from regional retailer Coop Alsace....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report