FRANCE: Carrefour sells stake in Majid Al Futtaim JV
- Carrefour sells 25% stake in JV
- Majid Al Futtaim keeps Carrefour franchise
- Dubai-based group will look at new formats, markets
Carrefour has sold its stake in its venture with Dubai-based group Majid Al Futtaim - but said the franchise deal between the two companies will be expanded.
The French retail giant has offloaded its 25% interest in Majid Al Futtaim Hypermarkets to its partner for EUR530m (US$683.1m).
Set up in 1995, the venture runs 94 Carrefour stores in the Middle East, north Africa and central Asia.
The world's second-largest retailer said yesterday (22 May) Majid Al Futtaim will retain the rights to the Carrefour franchise in the region. That agreement has been extended until 2025 and Carrefour said the deal would take in "new formats and new countries".
The deal is Carrefour's latest overseas sale. In the last 12 months, it has sold stakes in ventures in Indonesia and Greece, with local partners keeping hold of the Carrefour franchise. The retailer has also offloaded its stores in Colombia to Chilean retailer Cencosud.
Click here for the statement on its agreement with Majid Al Futtaim.
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
Chile-based retailer Cencosud has reported a fall in third-quarter earnings on the back of costs linked to recent acquisitions and to store openings, although sales increased....
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in India....
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
UK industry moves to lower saturated fat were met last week with criticism in campaign circles. Health issues have also made headlines in Mexico, where the country's Senate has backed plans for a snac...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Belgium....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- Briefing: Expansion agenda of Japan's food majors
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Analysis: Market bets on higher Chiquita offer
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- Arla confirms extent of job cuts after Russia ban