FRANCE: Carrefour sells stake in Majid Al Futtaim JV
- Carrefour sells 25% stake in JV
- Majid Al Futtaim keeps Carrefour franchise
- Dubai-based group will look at new formats, markets
Carrefour has sold its stake in its venture with Dubai-based group Majid Al Futtaim - but said the franchise deal between the two companies will be expanded.
The French retail giant has offloaded its 25% interest in Majid Al Futtaim Hypermarkets to its partner for EUR530m (US$683.1m).
Set up in 1995, the venture runs 94 Carrefour stores in the Middle East, north Africa and central Asia.
The world's second-largest retailer said yesterday (22 May) Majid Al Futtaim will retain the rights to the Carrefour franchise in the region. That agreement has been extended until 2025 and Carrefour said the deal would take in "new formats and new countries".
The deal is Carrefour's latest overseas sale. In the last 12 months, it has sold stakes in ventures in Indonesia and Greece, with local partners keeping hold of the Carrefour franchise. The retailer has also offloaded its stores in Colombia to Chilean retailer Cencosud.
Click here for the statement on its agreement with Majid Al Futtaim.
This is a detailed report covering Groupe Casino’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Colombia....
Chile-based retailer Cencosud has reported a fall in third-quarter earnings on the back of costs linked to recent acquisitions and to store openings, although sales increased....
This is a detailed report covering Makro’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Colombia....
UK industry moves to lower saturated fat were met last week with criticism in campaign circles. Health issues have also made headlines in Mexico, where the country's Senate has backed plans for a snac...
Carrefour is in discussions to buy French regional retailer Coop Alsace....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis