THAILAND: Carrefour sells Thai assets to Casino's Big C
Carrefour has sold its Thai assets to Casino's Big C
Carrefour said the decision to sell the 42 outlets is part of its strategy to "focus its resources on markets where it holds a leadership position and optimise its capital employed".
It said that its growth prospects in Thailand did not allow it to envisage occupying a leading position in the market in the short or medium-term.
The sale value corresponds to 120% of the company's net sales and a multiple of 13 x EBITDA.
Casino said the move will make it the co-leader in the hypermarket segment in Thailand and will by financed by Big C's existing cash balance resources as well as through debt financing.
The deal is expected to close at the beginning of 2011 and Big C said it should be accretive on its earnings as of next year.
Carrefour is also looking to sell its Malaysian and Singapore assets, with UK retailer Tesco, Japanese retailer Aeon, and Malaysian private-equity fund Navis Capital all reportedly in the running to buy the assets.
Speculation is mounting over the future of Tesco's operations in the US. Investor Warren Buffett has described the venture as "foolhardy", while some industry watchers believe potential Californian re...
Last week's column featured news of takeover interest in Ralcorp Holdings, the US food group behind a swathe of private-label products and the Post cereals brand - and since then, ConAgra Foods has de...
The top headlines on just-food had a meaty flavour this week, with news of Cargill's local merger with Australian beef processor Teys Bros, Tyson Foods' half-year numbers and a look at how the UK and ...
Tesco said today (11 May) that Barclays chairman Sir Richard Broadbent will become the UK retailer's chairman in November....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis