FRANCE: Carrefour silent on job cut reports
Carrefour is reportedly looking to cut 500 to 600 jobs in France
French retail giant Carrefour has declined to comment on reports it is looking to cut 500 to 600 jobs in France.
According to French publication Le Figaro, Carrefour is expected to this week announce the removal of more than 500 jobs at its headquarters in France. The figure represents around 3% of the group's workforce, a union representative told the publication.
The retail giant has had a tumultuous 18 months, which has included a series of profit warnings and shareholder dissent over its strategy after a plunge in its share price.
Profits and sales fell in 2011 and in April, the group booked a drop in sales for the first quarter of 2012, hit by weakness in its French hypermarkets and a "difficult" trading environment in Europe.
CEO Georges Plassatt has said it will take around three years to turn the company around as it looks to focus on reducing debt and overhead costs as well as exiting non-core markets. Further details on the plans are expected to be revealed on Thursday when the group publishes its first-half results.
Brazilian tycoon Abilio Diniz, the chairman of the CBD, the country's largest retailer, has been lined up for a seat on the board of local food group Brasil Foods....
Two Dutch supermarket chains have become the latest European retailers to pull frozen lasagnes from shelves amid concerns the lines could contain horse meat....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review